Efficient interaction with European institutions can determine the success of public and private companies. It represents a key factor for the growth of big and medium-sized firms in all member states of the European Monetary Union. Companies often lack a thorough and adequate knowledge of the European regulatory framework and European institutions need to improve their capacity to assess the impact of regulation on the private sector.
The School of European Political Economy (SEP) is a complementary institution to the Department of Economics and Finance.
SEP's aim is to establish a research and policy center focused on European affairs, one that is capable of providing valuable input to the Italian and European debate on the process of European integration and institution building while strengthening the Italian government’s ability to develop effective strategies.
In order to achieve this goal, SEP takes advantage of Luiss's ability to attract prominent researchers and experts. It also benefits from the collaboration of approximately seventy Senior Fellows, all of whom are affiliated with notable international organizations. These scholars broaden their readership by circulating their research through the SEP website (sep.luiss.it), which connects them to related institutions in Italy and abroad. In turn they provide suggestions to help orient the school’s activities. The Senior Fellows, as well as prominent figures from both the public and private sectors, are regularly invited to take part in our successful seminar program on selected research and policy topics.
SEP also has links with the main centers for European economic research, to which its faculty members actively contribute. Through its Visiting Fellowship Program, the school invites both junior and senior international scholars to stay for one to three months in Rome. Here the Visiting Scholars can develop and share their research projects before presenting them to the SEP community during one of our recurring seminars.
SEP is directed by Marcello Messori (Luiss) and has a Scientific Council chaired by Stefano Micossi (Collège d’Europe, Bruges and Assonime, Rome). Among the other members of the council are Stefano Manzocchi (Luiss), Pier Carlo Padoan (former Economy Minister of Italy, Sapienza University of Rome), Francesco Saraceno (OFCE, Paris and Sciences-Po, Paris), and Gianni Toniolo (Luiss).
The core research team is composed of seven full-time researchers and the think tank has ready access to expertise from the above-mentioned network of Senior Fellows. External scholars and researchers interested in SEP's activities are members of a committee known as SEP Friends.
Mariagiulia Porcelli is responsible for executive coordination, Marta Donolo is the Master's program coordinator and Luca Di Donato is the tutor for the Master in Scienze Comportamentali e Amministrazioni. Valerio Paolucci is the tutor for the Master in Economia, Finanza e Governance degli Investitori Istituzionali and Serge Tseytlin is responsible for the SEP website.
The Luiss School of European Political Economy offers five graduate programs, two in Italian and three in English.
- Taught in English, our Master in European Economic Governance (MEEG) is designed to provide economists and other social scientists with in-depth knowledge of European institutions, concentrating on the manner in which key institutions function, as well as of related economic policies and regulatory aspects of the EU and the EMU.
- Taught in Italian, our behavioral sciences Master in Scienze Comportamentali e Amministrazioni (SCA) aims to provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary for management-level jobs in the Italian public administration.
- Taught in Italian, our economics and finance Master in Economia, Finanza e Governance degli Investitori Istituzionali (EFGII) produces experts in social and welfare investment, in the European context.
- Taught in English, our Master of Science in Finance (MOSFI) provides rigorous training in finance.
- Taught in Italian, the Master in Cybersecurity offers advanced knowledge of the topic.